During the winter, there is a significant upswing in motor vehicle accidents. The Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) has a comprehensive checklist regarding safe driving during the winter months. The highlights are:
1. Make sure your vehicle is ready for travel.
- Make sure to use antifreeze.
- Carry a flashlight.
- Carry chains or use traction tires.
- Make sure the windshield washer tank is full.
- Make certain your battery is charged and your tires are in good condition.
2. Adjust your driving to fit weather conditions.
- Turn off the cruise control.
- Drive slowly in the ice and snow, especially as you round a corner.
- Don’t pass snow plows and don’t follow them too closely. They will pull over when they can.
3. Make sure your vehicle is well stocked with items you may need if stranded.
- Cell phone recharger
- First aid kit
- Jumper cables
Visit ODOT on the web for more detailed information.